Zoodoo Zoo is located in the beautiful Coal River Valley, situated just outside of the historic town of Richmond and just 40 minutes from Hobart. Hobart is known for its great food, fascinating arts and culture scene, and friendly locals. Tasmania has landscapes on an epic scale with panoramic vistas and of course amazing wildlife is never far away.
At Zoodoo Zoo we are implementing our new vision which includes you! We aim to become one of Tasmania’s leading attractions whilst providing a service to both our own community and society at large by aligning with the World Zoo and Aquarium Associations (WAZA) vision where zoos and aquariums maximize their conservation impact and are at the fore front of conservation efforts and Social Change for Conservation. We are now recruiting a casual keeper to join our established keeper team. This position will work 1 day per week and additionally will cover shortages resulting from annual leave on the zoo keeping team.
We are looking for suitable people to join our team of experienced, supportive and motivated staff to grow our team of passionate and skilled people to inspire guests to connect with nature and wildlife, uphold highest standards of animal management and husbandry and become part of the fabric of our local community through a variety of engagement strategies, advocacy and conservation endeavours. All members of our crew work towards the zoo achieving this common goal by contributing towards the overall success of the organization.
Zoodoo’s animal collection will continue to grow as we realise our vision. Currently we display a mix of exotic and native mammals, birds and reptiles including big cats, primates, ungulates, macropods, wombats and dasyurids. We have a large barnyard of rare breeds and an interesting mix of bird species. The zookeeping roles will provide ongoing care for these animals and will be in the exciting position of joining us at the ground floor as we grow the organisation. Being a smaller zoo means that our keepers get to pitch in and be involved in any projects and contribute to all aspects of animal care and management.
Applicants will be required to meet the following criteria:
• Demonstrated experience working with animals in a zoo or wildlife park or similar.
• Completed or is studying towards the Captive Animals certificate 3 or equivalent or has a Science-based University degree (preferably in Zoology) or has sufficient appropriate experience to equate to formal coursework.
• Confident public speaker
• Demonstrated ability to make effective and efficient use of allocated resources.
• Fit, active and able to meet the physical requirements of this job.
• Demonstrated ability to plan working day including scoping out length and difficulty of tasks, working to schedules, anticipating, and adjusting for problems and roadblocks.
• Self-motivated with initiative and able to work with minimal supervision.
• A proactive problem solver who takes great pride in their work.
• Excellent time management skills and the ability to effectively manage multiple requests and priorities.
• Computer skills with proficiency in using Microsoft Office applications.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Co-operative enthusiastic team player.
• An ability to relate well to all kinds of people and develop constructive and effective relationships.
• Knowledge and experience of Worksafe safety practices and procedures.
• Working with vulnerable people card (or commitment to acquiring one pre-employment).
• Hold a current Drivers License.
Remuneration $29.40/hour (plus Sunday/Public Holiday penalty rates)
How to Apply
email your CV and cover letter and the contacts information for TWO RECENT EMPLOYER REFEREES with the position title in the subject line to [email protected] Outline your suitability in specific relation to the essential requirements and duties described in the attached position description. Only applicants successful in progressing to the next stage of selection will be contacted.